View Single Post
Old 02.03.2007, 11:32 AM   #16
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
You must seriously do some research on this, and it can be done on the internet, there are ALOT of forums and boards to get info...

This is what i have found over the years i have only been playing for maybe 8 years (and been in bands for about 5) and i've done alot of research and learned alot from friends who have been musicians alot longer than me, developed my own sound and only maybe within the last 3 years had a firm handle and obtained what i want soundwise with the right equipment.

As far as amps go, if you go with a Tube amps they generally sound better and give better tone and you can inflect more of you playing style into them, however they are abit of work to maintain in the long run and probably need professional care unless you get familiar with these things yourself (like tube matching, biasing etc etc...) they are also generally alot LOUDER and pack alot of punch depending on what wattage you get. You have to be honest with what you are doing, if you seriously only a "closet player" and play in your house and not much else do not go out and buy a Marshall Stack or a Fender Twin or it will shake your house down and piss the neighbors off, because these amps are ment to be played at a decent volume level. however if you are serious about gigging and playing live you want a half way decent amp as far as power goes. if you are playing small gigs then anything from 20W tube to 60W tube should be sufficient, and if you are playing a with a drummer (which is another variable i left out) have that amp miced so you can be heard over a drummer. generally anything from 75W 100W Tube is good when playing anything up to midsize venues with a band (w/ bass and drums and another guitarist) but in this day in age with PA systems you can boost your sound in that way...

Peavey Bandits are generally loud especially the older ones from the 80's or earlier (similar to the one Kegmama is showing) the advantage is that they are loud and solid state circuitry, they don't need Tube maintenance which can be a royal headache. are these 60W? i forgot i haven't played one in a longtime but with most amps 60W solid state is not very loud, but with these Peaveys its different... Thurston plays these and is one of his fav. noise/improv amps to use, he has played these with a drummer too (chris corsano).

Fender Twins are nice because they are loud and clean sounding, that is if you want to have a clean sound (and then manipulate it from there with effects and distortion) you can't really go wrong. they range in price in the US from $600 to over $2000 depending on if it is new/used, model, year, blackface vs. silverface, pre-CBS, etc etc... I have an early 70's silverfaced twin that was modded, where the vibrato preamp was bypassed to give an overall preamp boost, making the amp from a 75W tube to sounding like a 100W tube sound... i have never cranked it much past 4 or 5 because it just shakes they hell out of everything surrounding it, but still sounds good with and with the right pre-volume i can get a nice tube breakup distortion. i have easily been able to compete with any stack (thats one 4x12" cab.) soundwise... got lucky and got mine from a friend at a bargain price and have had much pleasure with it for the 2 years i've had it thus far... i've had changed all the tubes though i know at some point it will need to seriously be biased and eventually re-capped (capacitors replaced) which is a maintanence issue that can cost $200 to $300 or more US dollars...
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|