Thread: minimal living
View Single Post
Old 06.11.2018, 03:09 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
FRIEND HI!

rather than rehash a lot that has been said already lemme recommend a few things that have helped me in the road to material detachment

oh don't get me wrong i still eat meat and drink good gin haa haaa haa. i'm not a monk

but less clutter is HUUUUGE. huge. huge.

#1 leo babauta's zen habits blog. the guy is all about simplifying. and no, he's not a monk-- he's raised 6 kids with his wife, so... you'd think more clutter huh? but he's managed it simply.

#2 that japanese lady with the crazy animism. what's the name of it. the "spark joy" business that was fashionable years ago. anyway she's a shintoist so she believes everything has a spirit (e.g., see miyazaki's "spirited away"). and she's also very fucking annoying with her talk of "cute clothes" and shit like that. it's a very girly book. BUT at the core of it if you know how to listen for comprehension and not get lost being hypercritical there are important lessons there. even if you're not an animist or care for "cute clothes" (blech).

#3 speaking of clothes look into the concept of the capsule wardrobe. originally invented by donna karan i think? for women. but unfashionable dudes like me can also profit from the idea.

#4 i've lived in a one-room cabin but i would not fucking live in a "tiny house." AVOID "tiny house" documentaries, which are shit about stupid millennials navel gazing and not actually living in a tiny fucking house. but ok, interesting concept nevertheless. i'd look online for people who are actually doing it, and also people who do RVing cuz it's a similar concept.

#5 look at the decluttr app. they will buy your shit at cutrate prices. if you're not hard up, not trying to make the most of your possessions, might be worth it just because they pay you to rid you of your headache.

#6 you mention "leave behind" look at "swedish death cleaning" which has been in the media recently. not to be gloomy but, in a way, we're all dying.

#7 on amazon (maybe elsewhere too) there's a movie "the minimalists" which ties with the site the minimalists (.com). it's not a great movie, it's mostly about feelings, and confessionals, and shit like that, but some sights might be helpful.

#8 looking at buying houses consider that a house is not a great investment (outside of bubbles it generally keeps with or falls behind inflation) and that having a smaller house can make you rich from what you save in taxes, energy, furnishings, etc. i can post more about this later but if i alt-tab what i wrote might just disappear.

#9 if you're on amazon and watch "the minimalists" the service will show you other movies like that one. there's one about this german dude that's bananas.

#10.... i'll go get you some links about owning a house as an investment. which you can discuss with your lady. cuz with all of these things it's good to be on the same page with your partner.

oh, #11 - watch "hoarders" some time. i watched one episode and holy fuck so sad.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|