View Single Post
Old 08.11.2009, 02:02 AM   #33
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Such a shame. I listened to Evol tonight, twice through, and loved every minute of it. It was such a bold statement for the band that transcended everything rock music was supposed to be with Bad Moon Rising to follow up with such a strong pop album! They shook up everything that everyone might have perceived them as, and definitely knew not to mess with perfection by trying a "Bad Moon II" approach.

Absolutely. Evol is i think the moment where they seemed to transcend any scene that they might've previously been thought a part of. In many ways i think BMR is the more satisfyingly complete album but Evol pips it for me on the sheer merit of self-reinvention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
The fact that on the Sonic Youth board so many people still don't get it and are voting for the record closest to Daydream Nation is a shame. I'll have to smoke another bowl and drink some more wine and eat some vanilla swiss almond to get over it.

I think that's a bit cheeky really. I don't think voting for Evol (as I did) necessarily meant not 'getting' BMR. I just think that as perfect as BMR undoubtedly is, it's an album than further solidified their place within the New York scene whereas Evol dragged them out of it in a way that meant that while previously they'd had to be compared with bands like Swans and Live Skull, they suddenly became a band that could be thought of in the same way as the likes of The Beach Boys or The Beatles. In terms of Evol being their closest album to Daydream Nation (an album i'm not particularly fond of) that may be true, but it's also very different to it. DDN is I think their ultimate NY Statement (far more even than the more rural feel of say CIS) whereas Evol has a much more 60s West Coast feel to it that's far closer I think to BMR.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|