View Single Post
Old 06.25.2009, 07:25 AM   #44
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenning
I think most bands influenced by Sonic Youth know better than to imitate their sound. It's more the spirit of the thing. I think Kim Gordon's influence on Bikini Kill and other grrrl bands is huge. My Bloody Valentine were clearly listening to American bands like Husker Du and Sonic Youth when they transformed from a twee pop act into their beloved shoegaze combo. The post-rock scene owes a lot to them. Nirvana, Mudhoney, and a bunch of other "grunge" bands.

The most? My Bloody Valentine, without Sonic Youth, would sound a lot more like Zen Arcade than they already do.
I like this post, especially the first sentence.

I'd also like to say that using alternate tunings is not ripping off SY, they don't hold copyright over that. I personally think that alternate tunings create infinitely more possibilities with guitar music than standard tuning. I think it was Lee who said something along the lines of "When you play a guitar in standard tuning, things sound pretty...well...standard"