View Single Post
Old 10.01.2015, 11:15 AM   #87
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I stopped giving a fuck around Out of Time because I could sense a sea change in what they were aiming for (they became adult contemporary).

I think you're taking OUT and AUTO for granted, which is understandable after all these years. But they really are (were) surprising, original and very good albums. I agree neither rocks very much, and I think Buck made a deliberate attempt to move from his jangle thing, but they're both classic REM's as far as I'm concerned. The first 8 are part of the rock cannon, I say.

Adult contemporary? Gin Blossoms/Matchbox 20, etc might sometimes sound like REM, but REM never sounded like the Gin Blossoms, if you know what I mean.

But yeah, after AUTO, the best one could hope for was 4 or 5 good songs an album. I still deny the "adult contemp" charge. Simply a bewildering vanishing of great material.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|