View Single Post
Old 11.30.2010, 10:58 PM   #32
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
ahem, no offense, but that sounds more like a cliche 80s college movie than the reality of life at the colleges I went to and the students I know(n). Most people in college are working people, trying to get ahead, the whole go to school cuz mommie and daddie said so and paid for it are a minority at best, and usually pretty slim at that.

Eh, that probably boils down to demographics. Most here constantly bitch about homework and talk about how much they can't wait to be done with it all. Only to graduate and further their bitching about how they can't find the jobs they were promised/etc. many drop out before ever even finishing. Some realize what lies ahead, and opt to just stay in school much longer than need be (like my step brother....he's been attending UGA for about 8 years now, constantly changing his course of study)...."career students", they are not hard to come by.

And of course most are working....they are typically told that they need to do this as well. Mom and Dad can't pay for everything.

I wonder how many graduate and find themselves still working at whatever given wage-job they had while still in school??? Sometimes for x-amount of years before something better comes along...and even this doesn't take away from accumulated debt....which of course brings us back to that whole "college should be free" thing.

I understand...I really do. I just don't relate. I'm likely being obstinate due to a strong working-class upbringing ("you want it, you work for it...nothing is free") Of course the idea of living in a society to where education + healthcare are free is nice...but none of these things are mandatory and I personally don't see why they should be....but only because they are available to those that want them and are willing to pay for it. I don't believe in a government that should be responsible for such things....but then again, I believe in a government that intervenes in very, very little.

And come to think of it....if one is wanting to go for something that doesn't benefit society at large, like say philosophy, I really don't see why that should be free. I mean, should my tax dollars assist someone else in paying for what really is little more than a personal interest? ...just another thought.