View Single Post
Old 10.28.2006, 10:55 PM   #42
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the movie maybe 40 minutes ago.

What Sofia does best is photographing characters caught in a moment of either pure exhilaration or boredom. The colors, haziness and soundtrack to scenes such as these are usually right-on. I'm thinking of the prom scene in The Virgin Suicides scored to Styx's Come Sail Away + Bill and Scarlett's final scene together in Lost in Translation scored to Jesus & Mary Chain's Just Like Honey + The scene in VS when one of the boys smells one of the girls' lipstick (god I totally would have done that myself). There's a definite dreaminess, uniqueness and movie-ness about 'em. But when it comes to her directing typical talking head scenes, she's not as peculiar. Whenever the characters in MA talk about important matters, the actors read their lines as if they were reading them for the first time - but those scenes are beside the point, anyway, right? What the movie is really about is a young woman just being the girliest girl she can be. I mean, I'm surprised that there are straight guys who dig this. This is a movie that loves to just ogle at extravagant set-pieces and costumes + food so colorful they might be artificial + furry, cute small animals. How could I fall in love with this? I mean, admittedly I'm not the manliest guy (I saw the movie because I like Sofia's style), but I can't say that I share Antoinette's fondness for shoe-shopping, styling hair, etc. But I'm not criticizing the movie. I'm just saying that I'm not its target audience.
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|