View Single Post
Old 07.08.2008, 02:34 PM   #56
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Glicester: Re. La Monte Young - Old La Monte has given the vast majority of his masters to a NY-based foundation. Evidently they've paid him a fair whack for them, as he's never agitated for their release back to him. If he wants his solo stuff to be permanently out of print, then fine, that's his prerogative. He should stop being such a git though and release at least one of the better Dream Syndicate recordings. Hearing those properly mastered would be a real treat.

Granted... but he's a composer. Recordings aren't the stock-and-trade of composers. I know he operates in the field of electro-acoustic thingummy, but if there can be multiple-renderings (if not recording) of Wolff, Tenney, Cage, Stockhausen, Riley, Koenig, Nono, Palestine and the like, I can't see why he can't join on the action. Some of his pieces are utterly glorious (I'm thinking the well-tuned piano) and he's just coming across as protectionist and a smidge of a Wagnerian by refusing the conditions of release of his art. I mean, you'd think it was hard enough playing what he does without making it even harder for himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|