Thread: Quick Question
View Single Post
Old 04.09.2006, 10:11 AM   #15
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
I used to have super-short bleached blonde hair, does that make me an ex-punk?

I never subscribed to the 'movement' though. I like the music, but subverting society just for the sake of looking like the 'progressive rebel' is a load of bullshit. In doing that, you're adhering to a group mentality in the same way as the people you denounce.

Which is why I can't quite understand why everyone kisses Johnny Rotten's ass. I liked the music, but his whole Hall of Fame episode just irritated me. I don't care what kind of bad-ass persona you adopt - if you cut a record, you do so because you think you have something to offer, and that people want to hear it. If you didn't, you wouldn't bother publicizing your art - you'd keep it to yourself. Putting yourself in the public arena in turn garners you fans (hopefully), and, consequently, a following. You will, by default, be categorized in some way. So, to shun the approval of your fans because you're afraid it lumps you in with the 'mainstream,' and you don't want your apathetic punk reputation to be tarnished, is hypocritical, contrived, and just plain fucking dumb. Those fans are what got you where you are in the first place, and if you didn't inhabit the higher social strata they elevated you to, nobody would listen to your pseudo-political bullshit anyway.

Interesting. Did you not get into punk rock because you may have been "too old" to really get into it or you just didn't know very many people into that kind of scene?

The Sex Pistols refusing to take part in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was a group decision, not Johnny Rotten/Lydon's decision. None of them wanted to. Also, I think you've completely missed the boat on what the Sex Pistols were really about. I think you may have taken them slightly too serious, why it's so personal for you is quite funny considering they took everything as a joke for a reason: that was their schtick.

I have to admit that some of my best times were during times I was into alot of punk.

One thing about punk though: bands loved to play live and the shows were very raw, full of energy and alot of fun.

Some incredible live punk bands:

Heroin
Angel FUCKING Hair!!!
Antioch Arrow
Adolescents
Fear
Universal Order of Armageddon
Nation of Ulysses
The Dwarves
Pitchfork
Fishwife
Drive Like Jehu
Rocket from the Crypt
Fucking Ramones(they still played amazing shows up to the end)

I can go on...

I never got into very much 70s UK rock like Clash & Sex Pistols. I respect it, but I've always found the Clash to be a bit overrated. Buzzcocks, Fall and Wire were much better.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|