View Single Post
Old 06.26.2007, 10:14 PM   #164
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
OK, back to the subject:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/062407starbucks

Starbucks and Universal Music Group are now priming a release from Sonic Youth, according to information confirmed over the weekend. News of the upcoming project first emerged during an interview between Sonic Youth frontman Thurston Moore and Pitchfork. A media representative for Starbucks subsequently agreed to discuss the project with Digital Music News, and outlined specifics related to release date, track listing, and collaborating artists.

The release, a limited-edition compilation of Sonic Youth covers by well-known contributors, is expected in early 2008. It will be jointly released by both Starbucks Entertainment and Universal Special Markets, and will not be positioned under the freshly-launched Hear Music label, according to the representative. "This is not a Hear Music release," the representative underscored. But the album will be structured like "other joint venture releases," including the highly successful project involving Ray Charles, Concord Music Group (now a partner in Hear Music), and a number of big-name collaborators.

Other details were also disclosed. The Sonic Youth album will be titled Hits Are For Squares, and will specifically feature covers by Eddie Vedder, David Cross, Chloe Sevigny, Dave Eggers and Michelle Williams. In terms of product positioning, the release will only be available at Starbucks in US-based major markets Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, DC. Those outside of those markets can purchase the album at hearmusic.com.

Uh???
yeah... certainly no offense to SY but I really don't have much interest in hearing many of those "folks" cover their fav SY songs... what is this? is it like bad karoake nite at the local town inn??? Chloe Sevigny is a musician??? that confuse yr idols comp. was only remotely interesting due to the underground bands who contributed, and certainly not for the covers... not sure how is this going to fair even better. available in those fine select cities thats uh no biggee, i wasn't really gonna go out of my for this anyhow.
whatevs.
if they want to do this sort of venture to gain a market share so be it, i still respect them they have to make a living like all of us, and actually the music business is set up that a bands career is certainly finite. i'm sure they are fortunate with how far they've come, and they aren't afraid to push barriers. i dunno i don't hate starbucks and i don't necessary like them... but to "Hate" them, nah they never did anything personal to me... some of you folks need to get a grip and not be so critical about such things, because its like what have you done lately to even criticise?... Starbucks is a green company and everyone i've talked says they treat their employees very fairly, thats alot to say for a company of their stature in this day and age, there are companies that are better for sure but a hell of alot that are worse. sure they've pushed the little man (the ma and pa coffee shop) out of alot of places, but the same goes for every form of retail market, its a sad trend in america... (i.e. look at how many Walgreens or RiteAids or CVSs dominate a street corner, plazas and strip malls filled with Targets and Walmarts, F.Y.E.s, Bestbuys, and Mediaplays just to name a few in a city or town in the US).
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|