Thread: World Music
View Single Post
Old 11.03.2006, 07:30 PM   #93
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
I see you have a traveling friend too, lucky to have one. A guy I work with does extensive traveling throughout Africa and has given me some oddities, but a lot of them are on tape too, I also have no way of converting them either.

Yeah... a few years ago, when me and my mates all left college, periodically a few of them would do the travelling thing before Uni. Being cheap bastards, they'd pick up a handful of whichever tapes looked interesting and bring them back for me. Some of them were brilliant. One in particular, this Arabic lady singing acapella... incredible. No idea who she is, because the writing's all in Arabic (obviously). Also, I used to live with a Chinese lady. Her parents sent her a few tapes to 'remind her of home'. She, being a lot cooler than me, thought it was complete bollocks, so I ended up with a few utterly brilliant Chinese court music (probably the equivalent of Vivaldi or somesuch) tapes. These days though, my travelling friends are all a bit more sensible, or going to Australia, so they bring back either touristy dross or utter cack. Often both at once. Personally, I have absolutely no interest in travelling, except I would love to be an Alan Lomax type figure and spend 6 months in those areas of West Africa that don't even have tape recorders. There was a show on the radio earlier this year of Mauretanian [?] music. It was incredible, but there's no way of getting the recordings, because there aren't any. Someone, somewhere has a load of Kenyan Soukous, and I want it. I want all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|