View Single Post
Old 06.10.2015, 12:21 PM   #46844
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I totally get the language barrier thing, but you're really missing a big piece of what made Kinks so special if you entirely ignore the words.

Long ago, life was clean
Sex was bad, called obscene
And the rich were so mean
Stately homes for the Lords
Croquet lawns, village greens
Victoria was my queen
Victoria! Victoria!

But yeah. "Lick Bore Ee Uh!" might be just as catchy off the bat.

See, this guy knows what I'm talking about.

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society is also a kind of concept record about a "simpler time" in England's history (the proverbial "village green" is the metaphor here, for a better, simpler Britain.) The Society is committed to preserving that way of life. Kinda like how right wing Americans want their lives to be like Leave it to Beaver with guns, only... y'know... not insane.

Read the Wikipedia article on the band. It's pretty well done and addresses the band's constant use of English culture, society, history and politics as an inspiration for their work.

Kind of like the rock n' roll Monty Python, if that makes any sense at all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|