View Single Post
Old 01.27.2014, 12:00 PM   #17700
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The difference with Godard is that you don't have to share his politics to enjoy or at least appreciate his films - although it obviously helps and I do think his films declined the more explicitly political they became. There are obviously great political filmmakers though (Eisenstein? Pasolini? Bunuel? Fassbinder?) but above all else they were great filmmakers full stop. I like some of Isaac Julien's short independent stuff but when it comes to feature films I just don't think he has a clue. It's telling that after YSR he went straight back to the independent/gallery scene and hasn't tried to make a feature film since. Thank fuck.

Didn't realise that Julien didn't make another feature after YSR - well, I never. Think I'll defo check out some of his shorts though. And yep, agree w/you on the political film-makers you cite. I'd also throw in Costa-Gavras ("Z") too. Re. Godard, I love loads of his pre-explicity political stuff, and even "La Chinoise" has its charms to me as well, even if I think the nutty Maoist stuff therein is completely daft. I do remember coming away from the "British Sounds" doc though thinking he missed a trick there - what could have been a v interesting politically-themed doc was a bit of a misfire to me in the end. A real shame, that.

PS. Your "thank fuck" comment made me chuckle

EDIT: Just seen the addition to your last post - not seen "Letter To Breznev", as it goes, but have seen much of the TV stuff you cite (especially love "Boys From The Black Stuff).