View Single Post
Old 03.21.2011, 08:25 PM   #26414
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I was rejected from my first choice university so I'm just going to treat next year somewhat as a gap year.

I will concentrate on:
a) making more music... since I won't be stimulated in an educational environment I'm going to do my best at creating something great since I will have have the mindspan to throw myself into it.

b) going to more shows... this June I will be 18 and I'll finally be able to see all the bands I couldn't before. In the past I've missed out on Kayo Dot, SCG etc. just because they played in an 18+ venue. Well, no more, I'm going to go to as many as possible.

c) write more... I've always loved writing but I've never considered myself any good at it so I'm going to try and hone my craft somewhat and use my creativity to write something that's uniquely me and not a style I've stolen from a writer I admire.

d) read more... I'm not really interested in fictional novels anymore, I tend to read half of them and then lose interest no matter how much I enjoyed what I've read so far. I'm going to read more poetry books and informational books on things I'm really interested in.

e) play clarinet again... I played clarinet for 3 years when I was younger and I still remember everything that I was taught (plus I've gained a lot more music theory that I can use). I'm going to buy one and try and get it down... my mission is to do a UUUUUU album that's somewhat of a composer's album. Yes, I'm gonna sit down with a blank stave and slowly write down everything. It might not be good but I'll learn something from it and that's what counts.

f) try and get a different project going... I'd like to try and get a band together with people I know where I can try out some of my weirder song ideas. I've been listening to a lot of Kazuki Tomokawa and I noticed that he sings what he wants, even if he's essentially screaming over folk music. That is kind of inspirational to me considering I've always been shy with singing and I'd like to try it out more.. again, it might not be good but I'll learn something

g) play some live shows! I'd like to devise some sort of UUUUUU live show that isn't just me standing behind a pedal. I've got a few ideas but I've still to solidify them into an actual performance

h) watch more movies! Since I'll have tons of free time I'll have the time to watch tons of movies again. Usually when I come in from school the last thing I want to do is slog through a 2 hour movie and would rather just go to bed with the Simpsons on in the background or something. My favourite nights ever were lying in my bed till 5am watching through Atom Egoyan and Jon Jost movies. Since they were so late in the night I started to suffer from delirious tiredness and I became transfixed on the movies. I'd like to re-experience that again and again.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|