View Single Post
Old 12.08.2018, 01:15 PM   #797
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Just sucks all the fun out if I can't sing along. Like I know the word, they know the word. I'm from Detroit y'know? There's a HUGE black culture/cultural influence around here. I've always just taken the word as meaning 'dude'. Context is everything, I used to argue. Then I opened my eyes a little more, and just felt uncomfortable w/ the genre as a whole. Not like every song has that word, but a lot of my favorites do. I used to stan hard for dudes like Esham, Three Six, Danny Brown, Big Sean, Too Short, Gucci, and SpaceGhostPurrp.

It's alright. I still got my Mercyful Fate and Dino jr albums to obsess over.

No offense, but I’d recommend resisting the impulse to distance yourself from genres/cultures because you’re worried about the differences between that culture and yours.

I really don’t mean that in a negative way. I have know a lot of folks who have thrown their hands up and said “FINE! I’m done!” and I’ve seen it lead to resentment and weird aggression toward other cultures. Not saying that will happen, but I’ve seen it. White people get really fussy when they feel like they can’t be 100% part of a thing, but sometimes you can’t.

My actual rule is that I have just saturated myself with so much of that music that I instinctively know when I can and cannot say the word. I *might* sing it by myself in the shower if I’m listening to “Hold my Liquor” or something, but in earshot of anyone else, I just bleep it out.

It’s not work. It’s instinct. And I still get to enjoy the music and watch Atlanta. And I’m not mad that I will never truly understand, but I’m down to learn and experience what I can. *shrug*
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|