View Single Post
Old 08.30.2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
1. Becuz.
There's just something about this song that keeps my coming back to it again. I think the repetition is beneficial in this case. It nails it in your head that it's all "Becuz of you". To me, it's bliss from the "Angel" midsection to the last crashing note.

2. Junkie's Promise.
It starts off very raw, like a Pinto on a cold morning. Stick with it long enough and I feel it redeems itself in the later parts.

3. Saucer-Like.
I used to prefer this over Skip Tracer at first. The harmonies are very nice and unexpected to a seasoned SY fan. Better than average, but not as vocally strong compared to other Lee compositions.

4. Washing Machine.
I couldn't handle this song at first, but I've learned the error of my ways. The second part (after Alright, Okay) is the real clincher. After you grasp that, the first part makes perfect sense. One of the best songs on the album, and the era.

5. Unwind.
The most chill song the Youth have ever put out. The title summarizes the song. Very nice and dreamy.

6. Little Trouble Girl.
Though I don't agree that it's an awful song, I love the comment "It's the Shangri-Las laying on a psychiatrist's couch". Damn, Kim Deal used to have such a great voice. I really like Kim's lyrics on this one. The moment we all face when we leave our childhood behind and live our own lives. Wait, I'm making it sound more significant than it is...

7. No Queen Blues.
I love the guitar tone on this track, as well as the reverbed vocals. It's not for everyone - I can see why - but it's got this vibe to it that remind me of something out of the late 60's/early 70's. Gotta say I like it.

8. Panty-Lies.
No....just....NO.

9. Untitled.
They should have told the label to shove it and kept it on Becuz.

10. Skip Tracer.
Like I said, this wasn't my favorite of Lee's two songs at first but it has become that. I love how he can invoke images with simple sentences. He's definitely the best lyricist in the band. "The edge of a blade pressed to the throat of your reflected image"...probably one of the best sentences in the SY catalogue. "Shouting the poetic truths of a high school journal keeper"...such a blasting insult that is delivered as if it were a compliment.

11. Diamond Sea.
We all love this song. We all agree it's epic and one of SY's finest achievements. However, I feel it lags in around the 13 minute mark or so...it's as if they set their instruments on a tape delay and walked out for a smoke and came back for the last few minutes. The 25 minute version has a little more action but I feel this could have been a bit shorter. Try playing along on guitar and you'll see what I mean. I'm sorry to throw any kind of insult at what is considered equivalent to the Bible in the literature world, but that's my opinion.

In summary, probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite SY album. If it wasn't for Panty Lies this might possibly take the top spot from my beloved Sister. But alas, you can't change a work of art after it's completed. Especially after 10+ years.