View Single Post
Old 06.15.2016, 08:41 PM   #19257
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
so, I saw the VVitch, I'd say pretty poor in a lot of ways. Really decent acting, good cinematography and a real nice sound track. The story is s'posed to be from period chronicles, but it was a really poor representation of most of Calvinist thought, and was seen thru a very modern sensibility. A very modern treatment of childhood vs how they were seen back then, and a total lack of Indians, who played a huge part in the outlook of these early settlers. Just read Young Goodman Brown or Cotton Mather for a real representation.

Well, remember though, it's not supposed to be a great historical film. It's a horror film framed in pretty well-researched pre-colonial history.

It's not about the big social picture in terms of Native Americans — though they are in the film. It's about paranoia and hysteria, and the scariness of Puritan belief. And yes, it's viewed through a modern lense, but less so than a lot of films. In the sense that it uses hindsight and modern social psychological theory to illustrate how fucked up that period was for individuals, it definitely does take a modern approach. But I don't think that's really a valid critique, because it's a horror film and in the film the horror is that particular period in human history.

I thought it succeeded at what it was trying to do.

I did not like the dead dog scene though. Sweet Jesus. I can't hack that shit. I feel like that kind of violence should be detailed on the rating explanation, along with "horror/fantasy violence" and "adult themes" and "disturbing imagery" it should say "animal violence." Seriously. That 2-second scene almost ruined the movie for me. I almost threw up in my mouth.

I can watch people get sliced up and butchered all day long, but there are a few things I can't take, and animal violence is one of them. Rape is another.

Overall though, one of the best and most original horror films in recent years.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|