View Single Post
Old 04.25.2006, 08:59 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I know people are upset that SY is touring with Pearl Jam because the shows will not focus very much attention on SY, they're expensive, and SY shouldn't be playing arenas, but I do think Pearl Jam deserves some props.

Here's how I see the good:

1. They play really long concerts (usually at least 2 1/2 hours) with varied setlists. This makes the experience so much better to never know what could be played on any given night. They sometimes even play really long shows (3 1/2 hours) on unexpected nights. And they always release their concerts on cd which keeps the fans pleased.

2. They've never really sold out. When they were at the peak of their popularity, they sort of retired into the backdrop keeping a loyal fanbase, but losing the casual fans. The best music they've made has been the stuff that most people haven't heard--it might be "rock and roll" but there's always an edge to it that is not mainstream.

3. They support really good music. The bands they tour with have included Buzzcocks, SY, Sleater Kinney, My Morning Jacket, Robert Pollard, and a shitload other ones that I can't remember. They also get their fans to listen to good music by often incorporating snippets of good shit into their live shows... along with many covers.

4. They care about the state of music and world issues/ they give lots of money to good causes.

5. Their music might not be the most original, but they have yet to put out a total stinker of an album.

I feel like people should maybe give some props to this band over the other "arena bands" out there. Although I like seeing small shows, a pearl jam show is quite an experience, and I think some of you would really see the band differently after seeing them. I know most of their fans are complete morons, but the band itself has had a career that I feel is a great model for how a (very famous) rock and roll band should behave.

blah blah woof woof. get over it, pearl jam sucks. they always sucked, they always will suck. sonic youth, well in this situation, they suck too, because the least they could do is play a LA show w/o pearl jam for us sonic fans who just can't stand pearl jam.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|