View Single Post
Old 06.01.2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a better musician than most. No, no - before you start. I really am. Ok, subjectivity and all that. I've worked fucking hard and I'm a fucking amazing musician. Do you know why you've not bought my record? No? Because I don't want to even pretend that I want to make money out of it. Not because of some holy act of benefaction to the download world. No. Because, fuck you, if I can't make money out of some 15 years of hard work (and none of you fuckers practise 4-8 hours a day)... fuck you.

I've been offered gigs. Paid gigs. Properly monetised, c£250 p/h gigs that I've turned down because, in all honesty, while that's a lot of money (especially given my utter poverty right now), I can't console myself with playing commercial music. I can't bring myself to play shit flamenco for corporate functions. So where does that leave me? I play for fun. I've spent all of my adult life working like a dog to play for fun. I give mp3s or digital versions of my music to friends because I like them, and some of them like me.

If I was an electrician, or a plumber [etc], it would cost £50 just for me to stand and tut at your doorstep. As it is, I'm expected to give away my music. Ok, a lot of you might hate it, but... well, if you don't want my services, I'm not fucking giving them to you. This is not an either/ or situation. Fuck you.

This isn't a fuck you to downloaders. I accept the situation. But what the situation ultimately means is that there's thousands, possibly millions, of people out there whose music you're not hearing. This isn't anti-download - I know people like Herr Park don't care in the same way I do. I know there's plenty of people for whom music isn't a simple revenue stream in the way it was. I know there's those who say 'fuck you, capitalist'. That's fine. Call me an old-school capitalist, but if you don't want my services - and let's be clear, my services include time, study, labour, practise, devotion, sacrifice etc - then you're not fucking getting them for free.

Again, this isn't anti-download - I'm looking around for soundtrack and other monetised work in the music industry, and I'm planning a few events because the old stratagems of cod-Beatles, record industry ideology don't work any more - in the interim, there's a lot of people losing out on a lot of great musicians who are looking to commercial work because there simply isn't a financially stable outlet for less commercial work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|