View Single Post
Old 06.01.2011, 04:54 PM   #2
jonathan
children of satan

jonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's assesjonathan kicks all y'all's asses
Yes. I am a full supporter. I haven't bought a record in close to ten months. This is mostly because I've been living abroad for said ten months, and I don't have a record player over here, so its seemed kind of pointless. My partner did give me a Bulgarian commie era pressing of the Beatles "Love Songs" two record compilation which I am quite excited to listen to here in a few months.

I feel like this day in age, if you're against downloading music, you're an idiot. In my mind, it's the same as being against the internet or something like that. Sure, you can chose to be a luddite if you want to, but at the end of the day, you're just making life more difficult on yourself by not partaking. It's opened up whole genres of music to the people, stuff that would go undiscovered beforehand. Being a child in the 90s, and a teenager for most of the 2000s, my musical taste would not have flourished like it did without P2P networks. For this, I am grateful.

I still buy records, not for any monetary reasons, but because I too am a bit of a luddite and like to make things hard on myself for no real reason. I can certainly understand the sentiment for wanting to have something tangible. I tend to seek out records that I deem to be pillars in my musical taste. There is a lot of fluff that doesn't need purchasing. It's certainly as much about aesthetics as it is nostalgia. CDs are totally worthless and a waste of money. My copy of Abbey Road from 1994 deteriorated by 2009, while my fathers copy of Abbey Road on LP from the 70s plays just fine, sans a little crackle. So in some ways, I'm a purist -- records are my analog recordings of choice; mp3s my digital.
jonathan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|