Thread: bowie
View Single Post
Old 08.16.2007, 07:47 PM   #94
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Please give me an example of him being innovative.

There was a much more southern style to his guitar playing than Hendrix's, but a lot of that style of stuff (Pride and Joy, Texas Flood) was already being done by black blues guitarists, and he was just bringing it to a white mainstream artist in a less soulful way.

see? i agree with most of the second part of this post.

but first, i didn't say he was innovative, i said that if you call stevie a hendrix rip off, then that's saying hendrix only played blues with a few touches of other styles, instead of immersing himself into music that defied genres and all that.

of course, stevie ray wasn't innovative, but neither were john lee hooker or howling wolf, he's just interpreting the blues the way he saw it, just like much of the old guard of bluesmen. now, i'm not saying he's as good as them, far from it, but he could play some good songs. i don't know about less soulful, i think he was soulful plenty, one of my complains about srv in general is the production, too slick; if dude came out later or earlier, his stuff would've been grittier and would help him seem more soulful.

and well, i used to hate sonic youth because all their fans were either snobby dumb rock critics or dumbass hipsters; then i realized it's probably not their fault and decided to give them a listen, i'm happy i did. it's not stevie's fault his fans were who they were and if you have a problem with the whole "whites listening to blues" thing, go find john hammond's grave and piss on it, also don't forget to send letterbombs to the stones, dylan, clapton, etc. because they also started that, back in the 60's.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|