Thread: religion
View Single Post
Old 08.04.2006, 01:13 PM   #121
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I wrote a rather enthused reply to the post above me, but it got swallowed up by the God of Internet, when I tried to hit the post button. Anyway, sorry about Tokyo, it's a city in Japan; my mistake. And I was just trying to make the leap of logic that faith and belief are two different things. With regards to sonikjuice's post, wealth is a significant factor in the level of contentment in an indiviual's life. Present times have more wealth, therefore, less of a need to pursue the historical reason for religion, which was a reaction to the discontentment and disparity evident then. There is also no need for a tribalistic unburdening of grievances, as culture and society has expanded to a much more advanced, enlightened state so as to not require vents that are as intricate and finely-weaved as religion.

You might argue that religion has a traditional basis, values passed on from generation to generation; if so, it is anomalous, having survived at least since Sumerian society, its longevity comparable to the wheel or writing. As with regards to developed brains being mostly aesthetic, compare Albert Einstein, who held a firm belief in God. I don't deny the validity of your view that if God existed only because he is believed in, then God is invalid; in fact a God like that would only be a God Of Convenience. The God Of The Easy Way Out. Which, tempting as it may be, is an impossibility.