View Single Post
Old 07.27.2014, 01:33 AM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

but it wasn't insultingly bad or anything.

Agreed totally BUT...
Quote:
I think Warpaint got a bad wrap. I know their album was a little mid-'90s, lacking the promise of their live performances and the deep dark L.A. cool of “the Fool,”

That is entirely the fucking problem. Their live material is so fucking epic and typically the same kind of Los Angeles that gave birth to Mazzy Star that its almost insulting how bland Self-Titled is. As was mentioned earlier, the first two tracks on this record are fucking totally kick fucking ass, I just wish the ENTIRE record sounded like them. To be sure, I don't own The Fool either, but I have a few bootleg recordings of 2009 era concerts that are that material but with the edge and underlying fierceness that their studio albums are always lacking.

Quote:
It was one of the year's first big indie rock releases, and it kinda got it's ass whooped by titanic monsters like Thee Silver Mt. Zion's “Fuck off, Get Free...” and the really hyped up Perfect Pussy debut.

It got its ass kicked because it tried to sound like a Haim record and there is already enough Haim to go around at Pitchfork

Quote:
Nirvana had the same experience when they made “Nevermind”, only with better results.

Though, the fundamental indeed ontological difference between these two records is Warpaint Self-Titled turned off the distortion effect on their guitarwork after the second song on the record, meanwhile Kurt more or less kept his foot on the stompbox the entire album (polly and something in the way aside)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|