View Single Post
Old 12.28.2008, 01:54 PM   #110
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I mean, this comes down to a certain ethic that you should apply to underground music, which is something discussed on this forum in various forms. If the leaks concerned mainstream bands that have other means of making money, I wouldn't give a shit. If the same attitude you apply to more obscure and 'difficult' bands, though, you just contribute to putting them out of business, or indeed making their existence more difficult.

I've known bads who would literally stand around on the streets giving away their records (or tickets for their shows) when no fucker had heard of them. Interestingly, the same bands weren't terribly impressed when their records were suddenly all over the internet. It's a simple equation - if no fucker's heard of you, spread the word, Hallelujah! If it's a release that may decide whether the label has profits for a tour, or maybe slightly better accommodation than a fucking Ford Transit wedged between a bass amp and a snare, bands are more likely to want the financial side of things to say 'this is a popular band'.

This record hasn't been released (or maybe it has, I don't know/ care) - floating voters (that is, those who buy the record and quietly think it's shit) are worth a lot of money for a 'hype' band like AC, and it seems unfair that people are going to write it off/ say it's amazing without actually putting money in AC's coffers.

I can't stand AC myself, just so y'all know, but the principle applies across the board. The number of times I've downloaded/ written off a band only to have a mate rave about them and then suddenly realise I was rash is ridiculous, so I'm a strictly OOP/ rare downloader these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|