View Single Post
Old 03.19.2018, 02:40 PM   #22317
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
GANGS OF NEW YORK

for scorsese, it was a bit shit i thought.

the pros: the epic subject! the historical portrayal of the time. daniel day lewis. brendan gleeson. liam neesom’s quasi-cameo. jim broadbent. john c. reilly.

the cons: cameron diaz out of her depth. lionardo-as-thug. lionardo’s stupid voiceover. the final fight. the narrative as a whole which is what the fuck?

i get that scorsese wanted to make an opera. so maybe i’m not a real fan of the opera.

started great and promising, ended in a kind of squeaky fart.

i rate it about as high as a 70s or 80s movie he did with dinero and maryl streep where they meet on the train and start fucking around on their spouses and it’s a sorta romcom. yeah you don’t remember the name either i bet or what happened.

I can't disagree with any of that, but somehow still like it - even more after watching it a few times. Not saying it's a grower just that I think I've ended up focusing on the positives (DDL and the basic story) rather than the cons (pretty much everything else).
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|