View Single Post
Old 03.21.2007, 11:33 AM   #28
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Firstly the Daydream Nation Saturday show in London is going to be my very first Sonic Youth gig. Daydream Nation is also my favourite album. So the gig will be 'life changing'. I can hardly wait....what better way to start Uni eh?

I think people are perhaps reading to much into this. No matter what your personal opinion is on which album is Sonic Youth's crowning achievement, you have to recognize that DDN was the album that changed everything. It was the album that fundamentally changed Sonic Youth's position in the Rock world. That is not to say that their work previously or since has been inferior or lacking in anyway. Its just to appreciate that the DDN era was important not only in Sonic Youth's history but in how it influenced what came later, in particular the alternative explosion in the 1990's. Sonic Youth will continue to innovate and create exciting new music for years to come i'm sure. But at this point its seems particularly relevent to go back and re-examine the music particularly since we are approaching DDN's 20th birthday.

You may not for whatever reason agree that DDN is SY's best album, but it is the album most people associate with the band. The reason Daydream Nation is being performed is the same reason we still perform Bach's Brandenburg Concertos or Dvorak's New World Symphony....they are untouchable works of huge cultural, musical and personal importance. Or perhaps its because a 14 year old can still pick up the record in a store and find as much meaning and life affirming joy within its groves as everyone did 20 years ago...