View Single Post
Old 02.17.2010, 06:27 AM   #107
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
This is true, but only if in 2010 you apply it to not just rock music, but also to much house, happy hardcore, dub, hip hop, and way too much pop music produced in this time and age, which you seem to more or less enjoy.
A lot of the rock music I like I'm dead certain hasn't been composed with a mindset that worried about what the analysis of an expert musicologist makes out of it, even the kind that seems to stretche the conventions of what was previously there, or, like I often find now, takes inspiration from the more under-explored corners of otherwise celebrated ''golden eras'' of music. I find the whole debate on the alleged antagonism between pop music/electronic music in general and guitars to be a regurgitation of British music journalism of the now distant past, since time and again, and particularly in the past decade, the instrumentation of a considerable number of rock bands has in many cases evolved from the more prominent set up consisting of just guitar/bass/drums/vox of yore.

Yeah, that's very true - the only exception I'd make is that Dub, certainly 75-83 or so, has some incredibly clever ideas floating about. I think Pablo's really quite astonishing in some of the things he does. But I've got no bones with saying the Happy Hardcore is equally, if not more, formulaic than most other genres. I just happen to think it's a brilliant formula (particularly the continued cod-counterpoint they use).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|