View Single Post
Old 03.17.2016, 11:06 AM   #1147
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
when you are an MC, your only "talent" is your rhyme skils, and your delivery.

to have it be ONLY about delivery? It cheapens the shit.

and fuck emily dickinson too. boring ass bat.

Well, not to go too far with it, but I feel like the era of the "MC"/"emcee" is kind of over. Even the best technical rappers (Kendrick) have talents beyond delivery and rhyming. Kanye is probably less about lyrics than anything else. He's not an "mc" -- not in the way you're using the word.

Even folks like Drake are showing that they are more than just verbal/vocal performers. Drake has a strong sense of aesthetic and style that are more impressive than any of his lyrics (most of which really really sucked prior to If You're Readig This... and involved line after line of the same number of syllables, each ending with an "Ayy" or a **"nigga!"). Indeed he's more about building a brand and bringing an almost managerial talent acquisition method to his music than he is about anythjng else.

Very few rappers are just rappers. That's my point. The ones who are don't tend to stick around long. Learning production and curation and taking artistic control are necessary now, because kids on the street are doing it and getting noticed, so there's pressure on the bigger artists to take on multiple roles.

(** remember "Tuscan Leather"? "I can go on this beat for an hour NIGGA" ... Did he even do any actual rapping in that song? That line was hard to swallow the first time I heard it. I was thinking, "nobody's asking for an hour, but it would be nice if you could make it through one song.")
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|