View Single Post
Old 03.16.2021, 01:20 AM   #53407
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eta: heard the sinatra, not really my bag, but thanks anyway, expanded my knowledge

"Actually, the very first 'concept' album. The idea being you put this record on after dinner and by the last song you are exactly where you want to be. Sinatra said that he's certain most baby boomers were conceived with this as the soundtrack." —Tom Waits, who listed In The Wee Small Hours in his 20 most cherished albums of all time. If Sinatra really did say that, it's some fucked up shit right there, given that ITWSH belongs to what is known as his "suicide albums" tetralogy (the others being Where Are You?, Sings For Only The Lonely and No One Cares). So we're not exactly in Let's Get It On territory.

(Incidentally, back to the "concept album" notion, yes, it's probably Woody Guthrie, then Frank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
for the mostly-sung version, a true human instrument along the right musicians:

I've never been able to get into Ella Fitzgerald. I'm sure that technically she could wipe the floor with Billie Holiday, but when Ella sings "my man has gone...", it's like the guy just went to get some groceries. When Billie sings it, you know the fucker is NOT coming back. I'm not saying more pain = better art, that's bullcrap, but Ella could get too airy for me.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|