View Single Post
Old 05.21.2015, 08:39 AM   #38748
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
goddamnit, now i feel totally thrown for a loop. i wrote my old teacher (the one i'm in love with) and the totality of his advice was "you seem to have everything figured out that you want but choose to not believe so out of whatever misplaced fear you picked up in south florida" which is just... more infuriating than anything else, but whatever. i think i misinterpreted readings.

that's funny you choose the word "reinvent" yourself, given that's been my whole goal as of late. been on a semi-gatsbyish journey to do that, even if my goal is to forget the past...

but yeah, the sumerians had symbols and law and everything way before. i feel like if i sit down and hammer something out, i'll be alright. i thank you, by the way.

i didn't pick reinvent from some prophetic inspiration but rather from lapham's essay-- it's all his fault. of course that's at the root of america and this is no big discovery, but he puts it in an entertaining way.

i was reading some translations from sumerian tablets (there's a website) and the suckers were crazy for rare stones and woods and luxury goods... maybe there's something in those to find about fasion-- it's been with us forever no? it was just a flash not a developed idea, but maybe you find something in your researches.

as for your teacher's words of course there's that "if you can dream it you can do it" attitude, but what people usually like to skip over is the amount of hard work required for that. "oh and by the way you'll lose your eyesight and bleed from the hands from this work...." ha ha ha ha. that movie i just saw, whiplash, sort of makes that point (while at the same time feeding an overachiever's fantasy, but that's another story).

i don't know what to tell you. i googled last night and saw a decent interview with robin givhan (she writes for the washington post). claudia schifer is also in it but she's such a dullard ha ha. see here: http://thoughteconomics.blogspot.com...9/fashion.html

if you're after some sort of "success" though, what you want is a system not a goal. they day in/day out that produces good results. chasing after "X" only brings frustration-- because you're never there, and you migh finally get there someday but then it will be behind you-- the post-partum depression-- so it's a painful way to go about life. a good system increases your odds and can be satisfying in itself without you having to "get" anywhere. put in your readings everyday, write everyday, take care of yourself everyday, and your odds improve and each day is enjoyable. do a google for "seinfeld don't break the chain"-- that's a good system.

so if you're interested in the history of ideas then don't wait for teh MTA pass of glory but start today, and that will improve your odds. e.g. pick up lovejoy's "the great chain of being" and get crackin'. i haven't read it, but the guy supposedly invented the discipline so why not begin there. in the process of learning you might start to write to people in that field and make connections, and that will improve your odds as well. you're smart and you love reading so yes, no need for mental blocks, but it takes hard work and patience, which means you need to enjoy the everyday not just wait for some glorious goal.

there's more to that but yes. 2 bottles of wine a night does not a good system make though

ps sorry if there are typos and fucked up words but when i type late at night or eary in the morning i use my thumbs to type and words get broken a lot
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|