View Single Post
Old 11.21.2017, 10:45 AM   #71
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I heard punk was first used in ref to NY Dolls. Not saying Clone is wrong (I expect he is right) , just comparing scraps of info.

Anyone who thinks Paranoid is the first Punk record needs a punch in the head.

If yr going down the route of calling proto-punk stuff punk (cf Velvet Underground) which it isn't anyway, I see yr White Light/White Heat and raise you a Churchmice "Babe We're not a Part of Society".

But Savage Clone is talking about proto-punk stuff too. Honestly, anything that was punk before punk was a thing is proto-punk, so the first punk album either has to be proto-punk by necessity or we’re talking about something else. Like, the the first album to be referred to as punk or the first band to refer to itself as punk are both very different from the first punk album.

Anyway, I respect your opinions and stuff, but I’m still going with WL/WH after years of careful consideration. Not only because of the song structure or attitudes or the gazillion punk bands that were influenced by it, but also because of the decisions made on the album with respect to presentation, mixing, mastering, etc. There was a deliberate effort on behalf of the musicians to unsettle and disquiet, both sonically and lyrically. There was corrosive quality to the music that dared people to listen to it, and even the chill moments are filled with really bizarre and risqué stories and themes.

WL/WH is the first album I can think of where a band with any amount of buzz or interest (however small) decided to do pretty much everything they could to piss off an alienate people. Title track alone is mixed like a spider drowning in cotton candy. Last track is 17 minutes of two-chord mayhem. ‘S’fucking punk, man.

Again, just my take.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|