View Single Post
Old 05.14.2018, 04:51 PM   #244
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bal
dude. this is a sonic youth forum. it makes total sense that people don't know him
go to any electronic music site (RA, FACT, XL8R whatnot..) and all of them are going wild about that album, especially "pick up".. (and they always were going wild about anything he ever did, including pitchfork.. and this is what pisses me off actually) i don't mind if you call it the album of the century - i'm just trying to point out, that this is an overstatement, and you'd agree if you knew some lesser hyped stuff... (and yes, i read yr older comments)

peas!

But pick up is easily the worst song he’s made as Koze. It’s just Daft Punk and Gladys Knight. Seriously.

I love the album, but not that song. It’s OK, but it doesn’t have the “Koziness” that makes his other work so thrilling to me. It sounds derivative and overlong.

I didn’t know anyone have a shit about him. Honestly. I read RA here and there, and have read the other mags/pubs you mentioned, but I don’t recall hearing a vocal outpouring of support for him. I’m not sure, but I think Knock Knock is the first time P-fork has given him “best new music” designation.

So, this is news to me.
I only really started getting into electronic music (beyond a few artists like RDJ, Autechre, Mouse on Mars, Boards, etc.) within the last five years. It being a genre I’m invested in enough to start a thread about is a fairly recent development. And that development was boosted by hearing “Amygdala,” which is the real gem in his discog. Better than this album (which is indeed my favorite of 2018 so far) by far.

But I know he’s not the cutting cutting edge. He just does whimsica house music really beautifully. It’s not really new, it’s just extremely unique — his approach to remixes specifically. None of his peers, like Todd Terje and Kid Kanevil and Kornell Kovacs, sound or feel like Koze. And he didn’t always kick ass like this.

Anyway... sounds like you have some recommendations for me, electronic music wise, yeah? Let’s hear ‘em. That’s what this thread is for... to talk and learn about electro-type-shit we might be missing out on. So, with zero snark, I ask you — please enlighten me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|