View Single Post
Old 11.07.2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I also want to get my hands on the reissue of Lonesome Crowded West. "...Long Drive.." too, but I don't feel the same urgency to buy that one.

Just thinking about LCW, which I haven't listened to in a good two years, gives me chills. It reminds me of a time when Modest Mouse was a downright crippling live act... When their music was so full of ire and venom and post-apocalyptic bible dust that comparing them to Pavement felt insulting, not only to the “you don't want to fuck with me, I've got Unibomber eyes and nothing to lose” vibe of MM in full-on "Trucker's Atlas" bipolar mania, but to the gleeful lightness of of Malkmus and his clown troop of pranksters.
They were so serious they made your life feel serious, and for a while they were the best band in the world.

It's hard to believe that band ever existed. Someone must have performed an exorcism on them in '02.

Anyway...

I agree with you 100%. Some people around these parts foolishly write-off Modest Mouse the way they would - say - a Weezer or something simply because of "Float On" and/or the "unpopular" use of their music in a Nissan commercial. Fuck that. Modest Mouse is/was a mutherfucker of a band and The Lonesome Crowed West is one of the best indie records of all time. People bash Pitchfork around here too and I totally get that based on what they've become, but this review is simply amazing...

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-crowded-west/

I haven't listened to The Lonesome Crowded West in a while, but I've had it on repeat for 3 days now after reading that review. Put it on a slightly-louder-than-necessary volume level and let it rip. Trust me.

Also, Regarding the commercial, Isaac Brock stated, "People who don't play music for a living can criticize my morals while they live off their parents' money or wash dishes for some asshole." Perfect.
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|