View Single Post
Old 04.24.2015, 07:54 AM   #6745
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
my concern was not with insane fan demands but with the soufflé quality of pep's tactics. either they rise magnificently or they fall completely flat. bayern scores 6 goals or gets 4 scored-- no 1-0s.

what the articles showed for me is the vulnerability to counterattacks. two of those articles are pep's admission of that fact, in different years.

in 2014 pep returned with a new system that was meant to be more counter-proof. that has worked against easy teams when bayern dominates them *completely*

but when bayern doesn't achieve total domination the expressway to the goal becomes wide open. wide wide wide. hence the massacres. the zonal marking article linked actually mentions how under heynckes this vulnerability did not exist (that was at the end of the prior season though. pep has made changes since them).

i don't know why i feel like my thoughts here are being conflated with those of megalomaniac fans, but i don't want bayern to win all the time-- in fact i've preferred to follow other teams like poor dortmund this year because something like bayern vs. stuttgart is no contest at all.

my "defenestrate pep/draft heynckes" outburst was not about wanting them to win all the time--henynckes certainly didn't do that. it had more to do with heynckes transparency and apparent good sense, rejecting what appeared to me like unreliable and unpredictable experiments. but that was more about my cognitive limitations than about pep's actual tactics.

a few posts afterwards and with some reading i think i do understand pep better-- it's not an experiment, and his system is not inherently unreliable either. it's that the limits of bayern only show up under certain conditions-- rather than being a gradual slope it's like wile e. coyote running off a cliff. it's suddend and brutal. it makes you think something is amiss.

but now after some reading it's easy for me to understand-- the achilles heel is the lack of pace of the central defenders (dante, benatia, badstuber on the mend, a mature alonso in front of them) that leaves a chunnel in front of the goal when bayern can't overwhelm the oponent.

it's a chess problem-- and a really interesting one once it's detected. and it's hard to detect because there aren't many situations where these conditions appear-- it's not like a weekly issue with bayern. hence some commentator called the porto game "a black swan" (a term from economics)-- a strange unexpected catastrophic event. but it's not strange or unexpected once you understand it-- i'm sure it wasn't unexpected for lopetegui and he planned it that way. others will do that as well.

that central wormhole won't be fixed until at least javi martinez gets mended, badstuber recovers his full form, and maybe dante (who really seems like a pleasant person) gets replaced by someone quicker. in the meantime, that's the path for the knife.

hey, maybe bayern can purchase david luiz at discount. say what you want about him, at least he's quick, ha ha ha ha.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|