View Single Post
Old 01.07.2013, 04:17 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I think what you hear in Disconnection Notice, that weird middle noise guitar thing (while Thurston and Lee and doing there thing) is Kim using the Dunlop Hendrix Octave Fuzz probably in conjunction with another distortion/overdrive... from watching live footage. I have one of those octave fuzz pedals, they are crazy sounding! pretty different to any other octave fuzz/distortion unit, it has a high amount of high treble bite with a weird "gated" effect by itself... stack it in front of a Big Muff and its pretty insane (thats what Thurston does). When I first played one of these I first thought of Keiji Haino as far as his guitar tone, his "90's free-noise-for-an-hour" period...

okay to delve even further as to why i think Thurston probably used a Mutron Phasor (aka Phasertron on Starfield Wild/Road and probably EJST&NS)
check out this vid (Sonny Sharrock Space Ghost tribute w/ Tom Surgal): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pO9CnHtpd0 (btw, i loved that jazzmaster...)

The very beginning you see his floor effects: Mutron Wah/Vol, Big Muff ("Civil War" version) and between them is the Mutron Phasor II... I think this vid is from circa 1993/94. i think later in this vid the proco turbo rat is shown.
At very first i thought this was a Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes distortion (like the one Kim uses) but turned 90 degrees, but its more obvious that its the Mutron Phasor II.
I'm also willing to guess that he used this Phasor or a similar one during Washing Machine (at least live) I think in the Rockpalast vid from '96, during the "diamond sea noise section where he is kneeling and sitting at his effects the outline of this Phasor unit can be noticed on the dark stage.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|