Thread: Nirvana
View Single Post
Old 12.17.2013, 02:51 PM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
How many Nirvana songs are hummed by the average music listener? Two? Three? and of course one is the boring as fuck Heart Shaped Box....

What is funny, is I hardly ever listen to the radio, and even then every time I randomly have a radio on its more likely to have a Nirvana song playing than a Beatles song. Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
The Beatles, like I said earlier, influenced how people saw rockers, how rock music could be a creative ART, and the expectation that a band should write all their songs. NEW SONGS.

AGAIN, THIS WAS NEVER IN DISPUTE. My argument is that bands in the mid-1960s weren't trying exactly to sound like Beatles records. Further, nobody here as supported their claims with substantive rather than anecdotal evidence (i.e. a list of bands from the 1960s mainstream that sounded like Beatles copy-cats the way dozens of bands like Bush tried to sound like Nirvana )

Quote:
In terms of influence on the entire musical spectrum of the last 50 years? come on, MAN.

THAT WAS NEVER WHAT THE FUCK I WAS TALKING ABOUT. I SAID BANDS CONTEMPORARY TO THE BEATLES WEREN'T TRYING TO SOUND LIKE THE BEATLES. I mentioned nothing about their massive influence after the 1960s..

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
This is just fucking stupid. I whistle Beatle's tunes in the shower, not their image.

That is great and all, but I didn't realize you played in a band in the 1960s, which was what I was talking about. The musical influence of the Beatles on early-to-mid-1960s bands, and again, it was mostly image not sound. Bands didn't all sound like the Beatles, but plenty tried their best to look like them

Quote:
Regardless of how you personally feel about the Beatles, you must admit there have been literally billions of people in the world who have felt otherwise. Some of them started a band. (One of those people was Kurt Cobain.)

(a) Did you actually read what I posted? I precisely said that the influence of the Beatles was to inspired so many bands to form and start bands. However, there is a world of difference between being inspired to start a band and being inspired to sound like a band.

(b) I was talking about bands contemporary to the early Beatles, you're talking about EVERY band since the Beatles and that was not what I was saying at all. Yes, of course many bands have been influenced after the Beatles, but I was talking about the musical (i.e. instrumentation) influence on the sound of the 1960s, and simply put, from 1964-1968 I can't think of even a handful of mainstream bands that sounded like the Beatles.

Quote:
The influence of the Beatles musically and culturally is massive, and I don't know how I got suckered into responding to something so stupid. Must be bored.

Maybe next time you should read more carefully before totally trash talking me and being a total prick about it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|