View Single Post
Old 01.05.2015, 11:30 PM   #18426
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
tired of bad "indie" movies and "White People's Problems" aka "Bougie Nights"?

think 'merica didn't have its own successful stab at neorrealism?

MY BROTHER'S WEDDING - (CHARLES BURNETT, 1983).

great, funny, hilarious, etc. not as good as KILLER OF SHEEP which is one of america's best movies ever but still damn good. also comes out pretty short at 1h 17 min in the 2007 director's cut (gotta check out the original cut-- looks like it was 2 hours) so it's very accessible.

great dialog, situations, characters, etc. film exposure a bit iffy at times but works great with the subject matter. acting not so great but in the end who cares--call it brechtian and move on, dammit.

seriously check it out. but check out "killer of sheep" first though, because that movie is just incredible. seriously, if you haven't seen killer of sheep do yourself a favor and stop whatever you're doing and rent it now. a fucking masterpiece. watch it in a double feature along with WATTSTAX. holy fuck. you'll thank me later.

[note: i don't know what ever happened to charles burnett but i am beginning to suspect his career went down as he assumed ideological obligations and became preachy (he made some tv movies, etc). this 2007 disc features a newish short (post-katrina) that's just.... too contrived. a real pity.]
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|