View Single Post
Old 01.13.2017, 07:56 PM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Boring AF.

Really?

I disagree. I didn't expect it to blow my mind, and it didn't, but it's full of nice grooves, good songs and some surprisingly well-programmed electro-glitchy shit. An improvement in that respect over The Terror.

Also, there are moments that harken back to older Lips periods. "The Castle" could fit perfectly on Zaireeka, or even Soft Bulletin. "We A Family" has the sound of At War with the Mystics, but it's more mature and fleshed out.

Honestly, I listened to it first when it was still dark out, on my way to the dentist to have a two-hour mouth-fucking. Put it right back on in the chair and it held my interest. I'm a harsh critic of bands "going electro" (soooooo cliché at this point... it would be more interesting for "electro" to "go band" in my opinion), but the Lips have been toying with that sound for a while and at this point it's like half of what they do, and they're GOOD at it. That's rare.

Now, I will admit that there are some themes and sounds that they've been hammering away at with an almost NIN-like tenacity, and those things are getting old. Embryonic was 8 years ago.... not all the vocals have to be distorted, not all the bass lines have to be slow-Sabbath. Ugh. BUT it's not a bad album at all. Definitely didn't bore me. Would love to hear more about what you found "boring AF," because if you like the Lips at all, it's pretty goddamn Lipsy, and I don't see how it's any more "boring" than anything else since their real, honest to God glory days (basically everything from In a Priest-Driven Ambulance to Yoshimi... also Embryonic.)
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|