View Single Post
Old 02.04.2011, 08:50 PM   #31
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
A lot of shows are very flexible in their reality financially. How come The Simpsons have such a big house, 3 children with a stay at home wife yet Homer has the wage of an average factory worker?

i think you can write a lot about this topic, like how the networks purposely make families in these tv shows seem to have more products and furniture than they can actually afford as to promote consumerism...like the people watching the show think "they're like us, they have a big screen tv, i should have a big screen tv..."

but i also think it has a lot to do with just the general structure of the plot and story. i mean if you're gonna create a story about an american family it just makes sense for them to live in a large/medium sized single home in the suburbs. generally most family sitcoms and cartoons have the same environmental structure...

it also has to do with it being an american show and portraying the american dream. you would expect a typical american family to live beyond its means, having a big house and two cars...thats what makes them so american...

also, although the simpsons have a pretty a big house, they are generally portrayed as being poor. some of the plots in the early and mid seasons deal with them being in tight financial situations....not having enough money for dog surgery, not being able to afford a/c, etc...

finally, homer doesnt just work in a factory, he works in a nuclear power plant as the safety inspector, if anything you would think he would have a pretty good salary relatively...
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|