View Single Post
Old 07.05.2009, 08:07 AM   #109
tdbajus
empty page

tdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's assestdbajus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
No, because the Jazzmasters of the 50s/60s/70s were well-built instruments made in the USA when Fender actually cared about quality, not cheap Asian superstrat knockoffs.

Um, wrong again.

When Fender sold the company in 1965 to CBS, the immediately started to make changes to the manufacturing processes to increase revenue. The side effect of this was by the 70s came around, no one wanted to use fenders, because the build quality, in the interest of maximizing profits, had gone into the toilet.

Of course, there aren't that many Jazzmasters made in the 50s, because they weren't even introduced at NAMM until 1958.

So, Fender didn't make very many good Jazzmasters. Until now, of course, which is good news for us.

In the 80s, the only reason you played a guitar from the 70s is because you found the rare guitar that beat the odds and was actually a good neck on a good body with good electronics, or more likely, because you couldn't get your hands on one from the pre-CBS era. I remember the guys who were older than me who wouldn't even considered anything that wasn't manufactured 67 or 68.

Also, kids were trading in their fenders for the latest pointy-headstocked super strats and fridge sized midi-rigs. I have a friend who found his Mustang in a dumpster. Jazzmasters in the late 80s where about $300 because they were out of fashion.

Fortunately, I think the new jazzmasters are so nice, that I sold my old 1963 Jaguar for a pile of cash, because I wanted a newly manufactured jazzmaster.

Now all I have to do is finally find someone who is actually stocking the Thurston model.
tdbajus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|