View Single Post
Old 12.11.2018, 11:18 AM   #814
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
DJBooth names Saba's "Care for Me" best hip-hop/R&B AOTY

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-12...ms-2018-ranked

Saba wrote through tragedy, and he wrote his way to producing the best album of 2018. Every single bar on CARE FOR ME is haunting, but not mired in loss and death. Saba somehow took it upon himself to transfer the looming cloud of grief into song. The “Write it away, write it away” chants on “CALLIGRAPHY” follow me throughout the day, just as the jazz breakdown on “GREY” fills my head when my mood shifts out of my control. What Saba accomplishes on CARE FOR ME, without a major label budget and somehow with a smile, is beyond admirable. He established himself in the upper echelon of upcoming artists. The musicality, storytelling, and gut-wrenching soul that propels this album was matched by few others in recent memory. Saba showcases his heart as a bleeding organ, and he somehow makes the guts of loss beautiful.

CARE FOR ME is an affecting and defining moment for Chicago and for all of hip-hop. Saba’s heart took shape after shape across 10 airtight tracks, proving that hip-hop is a limitless avenue of expression, and is not too macho for mourning and not too macho to take responsibility for the fallout that comes with using, depression, and void-filling sex. In 2016, Saba was a young man with a dream and his boyish Bucket List Project felt endless in its optimism. In 2018, Saba became a man marked by loss, but he did not let that cavernous pain root him in place. He grew—hand over hand—and gave us a living portrait of his overcoming. CARE FOR ME ends with John Walt in heaven, and 2018 ends with Saba sitting upon a throne of his own making. —Donna-Claire Chesman
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|