View Single Post
Old 08.31.2007, 08:26 AM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
On the Fourth of July '99, the year after A Thousand Leaves came out, a bud of mine and our girlfriends went up to Gatlinsburg, TN, for the freaky sights of redneck carnivale and to stop by Dollywood.

Well, on the way up, buddy's jammin' the Whiskeytown/Steve Earle/Son Volt/Wilco alt-country thing hoggin' the cd player. It's his car and he's driving. So after gritting my teeth to Summerteeth for the umpteenth time, I finally get my turn with the SY disc. And I'm predictably met with despondency by all those in the car.
"Contre Le Sexisme" comes on and makes the others uneasy right away.
Later, everyone makes it clear the only one they like (scratch that) the only song they can even stand for more than a couple of minutes is "Sunday."

So why isn't "Sunday" first on A Thousand Leaves?

Because Sonic Youth doesn't make albums for those dunderheads, they make albums for Art...and appeal to people like me.

And I can imagine most here have had many experiences, as have I, with people being instantly turned-off by Sonic Youth.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|