View Single Post
Old 08.26.2011, 07:18 PM   #67
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I'm explaining myself badly - JDB should go nowhere near lyrics (I heard his solo album - it's shit). Lyrics and music aren't two separate things - the lyrics aren't in straight poetic form (sonnets, terza rima, quatrain etc) but they are close enough to form to keep within a rock meter (again, odd to keep the 4/4 for a lot of it but I'll let that pass). The point is that the lyrics already lend themselves to stresses that JDB perverts, rather than using the relatively straight form of the lyrics. Again, stressing a 'the' is really poor form unless it's a rhythmic effect in the lyrics (in this it's strictly a definite article, off-stress).

The division of labour is definitely interesting, and plays into the earlier comment I made (years ago) in this thread. But my irritation is that JDB's rendering of the lyrics actively pushes away from their effective delivery - which plays into a postmodernism that seems entirely at odds with Richey (but not Nicky's) general take on things.

Oh, and yes - effective delivery of lyrics is always preferable to actively making the lyrics difficult to understand and removing/ eliding poetic stress (see T&B's earlier points).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|