View Single Post
Old 03.13.2016, 08:02 PM   #1108
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
the only dance electronic music that I've connected to emotionally was Discovery. in this day an age, the album doesn't do much for me anymore. I really went out of my safe zone to buy that thing. who couldn't resist Digital Love?

do remember liking some Basement Jaxx songs around the same time. I lot of that shit is frat spring break party music then and now. maybe, don't know, haven't been to panama city in years.

That's funny, I know Daft Punk is widely considered to be the greatest electronic group of all time (I searched on Google and they topped every non-underground list I looked at... along with Skrillex ..) but I actually think their discography is quite spotty. Discovery is essential, yes, and their live albums are very good, but Homework and Human After All both leave me cold. I liked about four tracks on Random Access Memories, and the only two that REALLY do it for me are "Contact" (overlooked song, best on the album, one of the best of 2013, no question), and "Doing it right" w/ Panda Bear.

The rest was super basic, dumb, music.

I'm really not that into their sound. I vastly prefer the intricacies of artists like RDJ, KidKanevil, bonobo, and possibly above all others, DJ Koze. And the indie-influenced groups like Boards of Canada and Mouse on Mars. So much more interesting than that big festival stuff.

This is why I don't care for generalizations about electronic music. Even Daft Punk, who basically made the Loveless of house music, and are higher quality than many of their peers, represent something entirely different than Aphex Twin or Autechre or Squarepusher. It makes me wish that IDM was still an acceptable label, because it's true. Some of it's Fucking intelligent and some of its fucking really dumb. I like some of the dumb stuff (Rustie is dumb), but I'm not going to say it's not dumb. It certainly isn't intelligent.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|