View Single Post
Old 04.17.2009, 08:33 PM   #60
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
(2) Those great Sun records that are just raw and honest and spontaneous and human are nonetheless great despite the lack of any studio sorcery. Sorcery is not required to make a good record. It is not necessary even if you are "lo-fi"--whether by choice or by necessity--to produce records in such a way that they are creatively produced or larger-than-life. That certain excellent records on Sun were raw and such does nothing to impeach my argument that today's musicians should not use "lo-fi" as a crutch or excuse for being lazy, but rather strive to make "lo-fi" sound awesome....just as those records on Sun are awesome. Note that none of those records suffer from any of the problems I've identified with lazy DIY recordists.

I wasn't using Sun records as any kind of defence of 'lo-fi' just suggesting that Rob's use of RnR as an argument against the immediacy of lots of today's net-bound music was quite a problematic one.

Of course no musician should use a recording method as a crutch or an excuse for being lazy. Although to be fair this applies just as easily to any recording method, be it 'lo' or 'hi' fi. After all, isn't it just as easy for a musician to hide behind a glossy wall of state of the art production as it is tape hiss?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|