View Single Post
Old 08.17.2007, 12:44 PM   #17
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice

In response to other responses - I'm not self-conscious of getting old. Men are at their sexiest between my age and about 40-45 or so, provided I don't get bloated. I've always been a miserable cunt, and I quite enjoy it. My concern is more that bands The Cribs, the Libertines and Bloc Party are all great bands, or at least have great songs, and it takes me so fucking long to figure that out. The Libertines had been split up years by the time I realised they had some brilliant tunes. It's only because I don't keep my ears to the floor any more, or at least keep my ears on different floors. Culture: it's getting broader.

I'm not totally sure about what you're getting at. I think all the bands that you've mentioned above aren't that great, but that has nothing to do with the fact that there's youngsters in they're ranks, even if some of your Pete Dohertys etc are at an age closer to their 30's now. Still, there are at least 4 songs by The Libertines that I quite like, a couple of them by Bloc Party, and I don't recall ever hearing a song by The Cribs, so therefore I wouldn't know. That's nothing to do with anything, just a general lack of talent, they could have been in their 500's and I'd still think the same. The whole fast-ageing thing comes from weekly publications like the NME, where bands have been generally discarded very, very quickly and the turnover has been very,very fast for quite some time. This started happening from the early 90's onwards, I suppose, creating a culture where a 29 year old is made to feel like a rock dinosaur because by the time they reached the third album, another 5 scenes appeared more quickly than you can say New Grave or New Rave. That sort of pressure created a culture of bullying that destroyed a lot of bands, even some of those ones that, perhaps, could have turned into something more durable.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|