View Single Post
Old 07.27.2017, 09:04 AM   #48948
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Pearl Jam
Yield
1998, Yield was marketed as some kind of "return to form" for Pearl Jam. As if it were meant to hearken back to a more straight ahead rock sound. I never really heard it that way. If anything it feels like some kind of progression - and reaction to No Code. Like the other side of that record. I don't think it's crazy to say that plenty of material here ("Brain Of J," "MFC," "Faithful") could easily have appeared on that record. It's just that this one feels a bit more comfortable. And I don't mean that as an insult. Sure much of No Code had more urgency to it, but Yield feels like a band that has allowed songs to grow organically. These compositions feel lived-in. "In Hiding" and "Wishlist" are great examples; while neither are particularly challenging, they have this great feeling and slow-burn comfort to them. It's also possible that my ears are hearing things based more on what I know. That is to say that I watched Single Video Theory (documenting the making of this album) more than a couple times back in the day. And as far as that 'return to form' goes, I will say that the rockers do rock ("Do The Evolution" being a clear standout). Like any Pearl Jam album there's a couple of missteps in the band's ill advised attempt at being experimental (looking at you, "Push Me Pull Me"), but thankfully those moments are few and far between. I'm not sure Yield was ever considered a classic in Pearl Jam's discography, but I don't think anyone ever saw it as a disaster. Personally, I think it's pretty damn great and should be remembered fondly. Even if it sounds like a transitional record or Pearl Jam playing it safe - it's still full of great songs and confident interplay between band members.