View Single Post
Old 03.28.2006, 05:12 PM   #31
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
continuation of previous post because I'm too lazy to quote multiple passages -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
also, i think the whole business of disecting art is largely a skam cooked up by academics to keep themselves in jobs, because every budding academic i've ever spoken to has told me the reason they want to be an academic is so they don't have to get a real job in the real world. and that's probably true of critics too.

I concur with this absolutely (ha isn't that funny that was what my degree was based on). Not saying that I don't want a real job. But so many of these people seem to think that the point of dissecting literature/music/etc. is to arrive at some profound meaning that, of course, is unprecedented, because, well, they're geniuses and all that.

I think that whole pursuit is really an exercise to help hone analytical thinking - nurture an ability to deconstruct and deduce, reason and hypothesize. Abilities that have much farther reaching implications than reading Macbeth and being able to pinpoint guilt/treachery imagery.

I digress.

Again, my basic, irrelevant point is that someone from SY (actually even that's unlikely, they have better things to do) is probably reading this and going, "Christ, those silly twats must be bored."
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|