View Single Post
Old 09.18.2013, 09:15 PM   #1083
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yeah! The beat, there are "scratches" all around, the sampling, and Wyclef be coming with those rap choruses. Its subtle, but I don't think The Fugees intended that track to become some kind of "pop" song, it was just another rap tune from that album. Listened to in a vacuum, yeah its harder to spot, but bump it in sequence on that album in between The Family Business and The Score and it fits like a glove (beats wise)

I think the folks who bumped that single like crazy as pop music might have been surprised listening to "The Mask" or "The Beast"..

That album could have changed the world, but the singles were too popular and didn't promote the rest of the album well enough. Again, I think it definitely led to my favorite era in hip-hop, between 1997-2004 when a lot of underground, conscious, and genuinely artistic hip-hop dominated the narrative, until that Crunk shit blew it off the radio. However, I don't think enough people really contemplated just how revolutionary the lyrical content was to that record. Shit, I don't think that Lauren Hill and Wyclef even kept it real enough thereafter, they succumbed to their own pop hype, and became caricatures of themselves in the spot light. The best thing that ever happened to them individually was the decline in the popularity of their careers. It forced them to go back and internalize.. get back to their roots (sort of, Lauren is still sort of crazy, but Wyclef has redeemed himself more or less)

OMG I looooooove The Score. Props.