View Single Post
Old 03.26.2006, 04:59 PM   #1
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
So, today I called the restaurant where I work to find out when I was working this week and the assistant manager told me that I needed to come in and talk to the manager. They want to offer me a "different role" in the restaurant. I suck at being a waiter. I've known this all along, but I was hoping I could keep doing it until this summer.

Here is why I suck: I don't give a shit about making tips. I take what I get and I don't hurry to appease the customers. This translates into me being "slow" and my managers get irritated because people aren't getting in and out of the restaurant as fast as possible. I just have a different view of the service industry than they do, I guess.

They can't fire me because I always come in early, haven't missed a day, and am agreeable to work with. So, they are going to offer me a "server assistant" job. A "server assistant" is a busboy.

I have this job to help out a little - I don't need the money for rent or anything. So, I'm not sure how I feel about being a busboy. I have a degree from Vanderbilt University. I know I sound like a snotty bitch, but oh well.

I was promised a teaching assistantship at the university I'm at now and it hasn't happened. There is a chance that I'll get a job next year as an instructor, teaching a Rudiments of Music or Music Appreciation class. I have too much specialized knowledge to be wiping shit off tables and refilling water for rednecks celebrating their birthdays.

God, I can't wait to leave Louisiana. This place is a cesspool of ignorance. Nashville, TN is like a paradise compared to Baton Rouge. Why am I here? As an undergrad, I never went to class and so my GPA was bad. My GREs are great, though, so I had a lot of explaining to do....

Don't skip class. Go to class. Do the stupid busy-work. Here are some Wilco lyrics that sum it up:

"I cut class
In school, yeah
Now I know I made a mistake
I made a big mistake"

I'm applying this fall to new places for my Ph.D. and I can't wait. I should get in somewhere decent because I'm pulling a 4.0 here. As long as my Master's Thesis is good.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|